Monday, August 30, 2010

POST 3: THE STATE OF THE UNION

1. Describe your typical creative process, from getting an assignment to finished piece.

My creative process is indeed a unique approach and by all means what my art has evolved into over the past 3 years of my college career. Quite different from anything I've done in the past and yet a learning process for myself. Anyway, to get to the point my creative juices begin flowing by what some people may consider weird (A simple Shape), but as an artist it's rather normal. When I approach an assignment I seek the proper elements to fit the problem, whether its, old or new sketches, (3-D found objects) that are scanned in and configured into the piece, to photographed shapes that just may fit the solution I'm seeking to come up with a complete composition. First off, are the thumbnails and then a sketch of the best composition is rendered with the configuration of all the selected elements. Next the sketch is cleaned up using a sheet of tracing paper, to get a better understanding of the scribbly lines from the sketch and afterwards transfered to a better quality of paper with transfer paper, then inked and scanned in at 300 or higher dpi and then the media of choice is began, however if the tracing of the sketch is good enough I'll scan that in occasionally and work with that. Nowadays my illustrations are mostly rendered digitally in Photoshop using a BAMBOO tablet, though I often work in ink-wash to get a feel of the colors I want on various studies and then scan the best in and paint on top of them digitally. Some pieces are completed as is with several layers of the inks, water color, and/or acrylics. Hopefully you may notice my approach may be a lot of work and a bit challenging as far as the shape search goes but seemingly becoming much more pleasing every time I do it.

2. Describe what you think your creative process should be like?

At this point it appears that my creative approach can't be any easier. However, I think my approach needs to be a bit more organized. The Shape exploration must remain the same, however the approach to create my final composition, needs to be much more professional and simplified. Though I want to avoid the similarities with average daily jobs, everyday the same tedious job. I want my work to remain interesting over the years and pleasing to my pocket as well as me and followers. So, with that being said the experimentation must maintain a place. Exploring shapes, giving them life and for the most a story to tell can only get better.

3. Research and describe a professional creator's creative process.

Rapper/Hip Hop Tupac Shakur, had a work ethic unlike any human being I've ever seen. A very troubled and misunderstood individual Tupac became victim to the very life he lived. Hands down the hardest working lyricist in history, Shakur always felt he needed to keep it real to his fans so he vouched to live the lyrics he wrote which was considered the street life, or for better terms the THUG LIFE. If something happened to him through out the day, ticked him off, or urged him to speak out he wrote about right then and would spit it(rap it) just as aggressive and powerful as if it was his last breath. He went after ever opportunity possible to make music and express himself whether it was acting, writing poetry, or even Live on television. Tupac was a lyricist and a poet first and foremost but also a prophet that made money off of his troublesome life and career. His goal was to record at least three songs today not including the lyrics he would write within the same day and while doing so he had to be drinking Hennesy(Brown Liquor) and smoking marijuana, if that was the case the work ethics was 3 times greater. This was he meant by being real, doing what the majority of his fans do: smoke out, involve himself with controversy and write about it. He recorded his highest charting album (All Eyez on Me) in only two weeks. The album was certified 5 times platinum after only 2 months of its release and and 9 times platinum just two years later. The artist sold over 75 million albums making him one of the worlds top selling artist ever. He would always study his past ancestors of his craft and his ethnic race from MLK, Malcolm X, to fathers of the hip hop game. He'd study their work ethics and performance and even their mistakes and take from them and master their skills and apply it to his creative process to make himself even more confident and stronger as a writer and performer. This was what he called mastering the masters, doing this his library continued to grow as well as his knowledge. Often a defensive style of rapping he made victims out of anybody he felt offended by and or a threat to the what he was trying to do as a motivational speaker, Lyricist and performer. And his fan fed off of this and continued to grow even after his death in 1996. Being one of the only rappers to have a golden statue built of him in L.A., college courses about his legacy and statues in other countries. His entire work ethic focused on the philosophical question of (What If?) and his Legacy after his death.

I think that my art can take on the same purpose of 2pac's body of work, if I work just as hard and present things from my everyday life to be just as interesting whether it's something I've found or made, as long as the story the final piece tells can withstand the test of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment